Evangelical-Reformed church, Leipzig
The Evangelisch-Reformierte Kirche in Leipzig traces its history to the Huguenots, religious refuges from France who moved to Leipzig around 1700. The current church and the adjoining “Preacher House” were built between 1896 & 1899. As of Oct. 2, 1989 the Evangelical-Reformed Church in Leipzig served as one of the primary venues for the Freedom Prayers which eventually led to the peaceful downfall of the Berlin Wall and the GDR. The community has a very active church choir that performs regularly during worship service but also in concert. Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy was a member of the Evangelical-Reformed Church in Leipzig. Even though he was born to Jewish parents, Mendelssohn was baptized as a Protestant at a very young age. Every first Sunday of the month the music of the worship service is dedicated to this famous composer.