französischer dom, berlin
Französicher Dom in Berlin is located on the Gendarmenmarkt square across from the Deutscher Dom (German Cathedral), formerly a church of German-speaking congregants. Louis Cayart and Abraham Quesnay built the first parts of the French Church from 1701 to 1705 for the Huguenot (Calvinist) community. At that time, Huguenots made up about 25% of Berlin's population. The French Church was modelled after the destroyed Huguenot temple in Charenton-Saint-Maurice, France. In 1785 the church was modified and the domed tower built which, together with the French-speaking congregants, earned the church its name. To this day a worship service in French is celebrated once a week. Due to its central location and excellent acoustics, the French Dom hosts many concerts and recitals.